Our Church – The Porch

Our Church

The Porch

Church plan view
The west window in the porch has stained glass by Burlison and Grylls and was erected in 1919. The subject is the Baptism of Christ, which links the porch with the font just inside the main door; baptism as the symbolic entrance into Christian life with the physical entrance to the church building.

Porch Window
John Burlison and Thomas John Grylls both trained at the studios of Clayton & Bell, a prolific firm that played a key part in bringing Gothic Revival styles into thousands of church interiors but whose sheer volume of production sometimes compromised the quality of their glass. Burlison and Grylls output was generally of greater artistic merit than that of their training studio, and by the end of the 19th century the firm was considered to be one of the best stained glass firms in the country. In 1902 they produced the rose window for Poets Corner, at Westminster Abbey.