Timeline

Timeline

This is a timeline showing notable events relating to our church and Buckland manor throughout history.

St Mary’s Church

Buckland Manor

Worshippers have been using a church on this site since the 10th century

The Domesday survey records four manors in Buckland – in later centuries the two largest will come to be known as Duke’s Manor and St John’s Manor

1086

Construction begins to replace the Saxon church with the nave that we see today – you can still see the marks of the carpenter’s tools on the south door

12thcentury

Extensive building work is carried out on the chancel, transepts and a south porch is added to the church

The right to present the vicar is gifted by Edward III to Thomas Bessels who gifts it to the Bishop of Winchester, who in turn assigns it to the chantry chapel of St Mary, St Katherine and All Saints in the church of Edington

1350s

Extensive building work is carried out on the chancel, transepts and a south porch is added to the church

Eleanor Giffard nee de Lenham dies and her Buckland estate passes to her cousin’s son, Robert de Lenham

1366

Large new window added in the south wall of the nave; roofs remodelled and parapets added

Thomas Chaucer purchases Duke’s Manor. On his death it is passed to his daughter Alice de la Pole, duchess of Suffolk and her descendants

15thcentury

Edmund de la Pole, duke of Suffolk, is executed for treason and his lands seized by Henry VIII. Duke’s Manor in Buckland is granted to Charles Brandon in 1514 who holds it until 1535

1513

Henry VIII grants Duke’s Manor and St John’s Manor to John Yate

1544-5

William Holcott of Barcote Manor dies and his heart is buried in the chancel

1575

John Yate of Buckland Manor dies and is commemorated with the monument now displayed in the north transept

1578

The 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th bells are cast, and around this time the musician’s gallery at the east end of the nave is added in place of the old rood screen removed during the Reformation

1636

Sir Robert and Mary Throckmorton inherit Buckland manor

1690

The parapets are remodelled to add battlements, to ensure visual continuity with the neighbouring stable block

John Wood the elder and John Wood the younger build a new mansion, now known as Buckland House. The old manor house (now returned to residential use as Buckland Manor House) is converted into a stable block.

Richard Woods landscapes the surrounding grounds

1750s

In the late 1860s, the chancel is restored by Ewan Christian and/or Thomas Cundy III

1860s

A vestry and organ chamber are added to the church in 1890.

William West of Barcote Manor pays to have the south transept transformed into a chapel commemorating his wife, Clara Jane. He also donates the organ and brass lectern to the church. The nave is remodelled at the same time.

William Niven, grandfather of the actor David Niven, gifts a treble bell to the church whilst living in nearby Carswell Manor

1890s

Sir Maurice FitzGerald purchases Buckland House and extends it. Major Richard Wellesley subsequently inherits the house. During the 1990s it is sold as a private residence

1908

Contemporary Restoration

1999 – Organ completely rebuilt
2010 – Bells re-tuned, re-hung and re-dedicated
2015 – Vestry refurbished
2016 – South Transept re-roofed
2017 – electrical improvements
2018 – Nave and North Transept re-roofed with grant aid from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the National Churches Trust, and the Oxfordshire Historic Churches Trust

In 2010 the award winning restoration of Buckland House is completed

21stcentury